In light of the difficult conditions that Lebanon went through after the port explosion on 4 August 2020, which killed many people and led to severe damage, a group of 7 Lebanese women set up an Art Auction for Lebanon (#BeirutArtBeats) three weeks ago.
With the strong belief that art in its most noble form is a powerful healing force, established and emerging artists from Lebanon and beyond have wholeheartedly gathered to raise funds by auctioning their art, in support of those who are on the ground, working day-in day-out to rebuild, heal and bring back hope.
The auction, which was curated by Christiane Ashkar Art Consultancy (@caartconsultancy), includes more than 80 works from 37 artists, and will take place between 23 September and 28 September 2020. The works include paintings, works on papers, sculptures, photos and prints. The group of 7 women divided the tasks, with some focusing on setting up the website, others on liaising with NGOs on the ground, others on marketing.
In a call with her, Christiane Ashkar mentioned that the funds raised will go towards four NGOs that are making a real difference on the ground @Rebuild_Beirut (part of LiveLoveLebanon), @Bebwshebbek, @Assamehbb (Karantina hospital which was fully destroyed and takes care of premature and poor babies), and @CCCL.
70% of all revenues go to them equally, while the remaining 30% goes to the artists, many of whom lost friends, homes or ateliers, and are struggling with dire economic conditions.
Participating artists are:
Alaa Abou Shaheen, Youssef Aoun, Sami AlKour, Joseph Al Arid, Nevine Boueiz, Stephane Cipre (Inception Gallery), Mansour El Habre, David Harber (Inception Gallery), Issa Halloum, Rania Hammoud, Anas Homsi, Charles Khoury, Wadhah Mahdi, Nevine Matar, Jamil Molaeb, Ribal Molaeb, Jean Moraros, Ali Mourabet, Richard Orlinski (Inception Gallery), Fritz Pannier (13) , Georges Panossian (Inception Gallery), Laeticia Rubeiz (14), Mazen Rifai, Raouf Rifai, Missak Terzian, Tom Young, Elie Bekhazi, Rania Matar, Paul Otayek, Sandra Sahyoun, Lara Zankoul, Alaa Abou Shaheen, Fadi El Chamaa, Martine El Khoury, Diana Kahil, Naya Rasamny (5), Vahan Roumelian, Ghylan Safadi
A special mention goes to Inception Gallery, France, for their support to this project.
Instagram page: @artauctionforlebanon
Website if you wish to bid /donate (to launch next week): https://www.artauctionforlebanon.com/
Sandra Sahyoun - Fairouz
Rania Matar - Nour, Beirut, Lebanon
Elie Bekhazi - Beirut in my heart